For a far more nuanced examination of the subject I have included three YouTube sermons from my channel, The Church of God Pulpit. During my sermon series through the Gospel According to St. Matthew I came upon Christ's teachings on the topic in his Sermon on the Mount.
Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage (Part 1)
Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage (Part 2)
Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage (Part 3)
Given the current climate of marriage/divorce in this current society, I have adopted the policy:
I will only perform a wedding ceremony when at least one of the engaged couple is an eligible voting member of First Church of God, Princeton, West Virginia. The requirements for voting privileges are found in the by-laws in Article III: Membership:
Section 1. The eligible voters of this Association shall be restricted to those who meet the following conditions:
a) They shall be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
b) They shall have worshiped regularly (at least a minimum of twice a month) with the local congregation for a period of at least six (6) months immediately preceding any meeting at which they exercise rights of membership
c) They shall have lived during this period of six (6) months in harmony with the accepted standards of the First Church of God at Princeton, West Virginia, and in harmony with the General Assembly of the Church of God, Anderson, Indiana.
As the senior elder I, alone, determine before God whom my conscience allows me to marry or refuse to marry. In keeping with biblical requirements I will not wed a Christian to an unbeliever. Also, the directions concerning divorce/remarriage will be strictly followed.
The leadership is free to allow any other minister perform nuptials/make use of the church facilities in keeping with their policies.
• Practicing homosexuality is contrary to God’s original design of one man for one woman and is sinful. I do not support “same-sex” marriages or "civil unions."
• Euthanasia ("mercy killing") is murder.
• I am pro-life. I accept abortion only to save the life of the mother.
• In-vitro fertilization is morally evil for it creates children in a petri-dish and then freezes them in the embryonic stage. This process keeps the unused children in suspended animation and, thus, treats these individuals as sub-human.
• Embryonic stem-cell research is infanticide.
• Raffle tickets, lotto numbers and all forms of gambling are exploitations of the poor and desperate.
• The current fascination conservative evangelical Christians have with alcohol both bewilders and saddens me.